Aloha, fellow Hawaiian adventurers!
Are you ready to dive into the most unforgettable and thrilling experiences on your next trip to the island paradise? Well, let me tell you – I’ve got just the thing for you. After years of exploring Hawaii with my boyfriend, we have discovered some incredible hidden gems that will leave your heart racing and create memories that’ll last a lifetime.
Now, I know how overwhelming it can be to choose which adventure tours to embark upon in Hawaii. There’s just so much beauty and excitement around every corner! But fear not – I’ve dedicated countless hours researching, exploring, and experiencing these breath-taking islands, ensuring the choices I present are nothing short of spectacular.
You might be wondering who am I to help you decide? Over the past few years of our annual vacations in Hawaii, my boyfriend and I have left no stone unturned or beach untraveled as we sought out awe-inspiring adventures on each magnificent island. So trust me when I say that what awaits you is truly exceptional.
Warning: Don’t be surprised if after going through these recommendations, you find yourself daydreaming about ziplining through lush jungles or swimming with dolphins more often than not.
Alright then, buckle up and prepare yourselves as we venture forth into an exotic world where adventure beckons at every turn!
#1 (MAUI) Small Group Road to Hana Adventure Tour with Pickup
Duration: 10 hours (approx.)
Address: 1090 Ho’okele St, Kahului, HI 96732 (Safeway parking lot)
If you are visiting Maui, the road to Hana is a historic stretch showing the best natural beauty the island has to offer. This small group tour is the perfect pick because the knowledgeable and friendly guide will make sure you experience all the picture-worthy moments. This full-day tour will leave you full of unforgettable memories.
They offer hotel pick-up, and on our tour, there were 4 people. We received breakfast, lunch, and snacks (as well as plenty of water available). The tour guide always made sure we were comfortable and he was extremely knowledgeable about the sites and history of the area. We got some great information out of him.
There were so many awesome stops, that it’s hard to pick my favorite, but the highlights were Wailua Falls, Maui Honey Bee Sanctuary, Ohe’o Gulch (the sacred 7 pools), and Kaupo. Wailua Falls is over 100 feet tall, making it the tallest waterfall on our trip (and it’s quite impressive).
Since they are seasoned guides they avoid tourist traps and overcrowded areas. Instead, we had the chance to learn about the history and culture of the area while enjoying stunning views of beaches, waterfalls, and more.
Small Group Road to Hana Adventure Tour with Pickup is my favorite adventure tour in Hawaii because:
- They create an intimate and small tour that provides a lot of interesting culture and history not experienced in larger tour groups.
- They provide local and tasty food including breakfast, lunch, snacks, and water.
- You get to see impeccable sights such as Ohe’o Gulch (the sacred 7 pools), Wailua Falls, Maui Honey Bee Sanctuary, and Kaupo.
- Service is excellent and the guide is funny and well-prepared.
- This can be an intimate activity for just a couple, or an entire family.
#2 (KAUAI) Kauai ATV Backroads Adventure Tour
Duration: 3 hours (approx.)
Address: 3477A Weliweli Rd, Koloa, HI 96756
This tour is action-packed and exciting. Asides from riding ATVs through some turning Kauai trails, you will get to pass through the jungle-like areas, and plantations and even make your way up to an active volcano. The local guide is extremely knowledgeable, so be prepared for authentic and local stories told in an interesting and captivating way.
I loved that the tour provides almost an hour of ATV drive time and that the trail is carefully picked. There is so much natural beauty and vegetation to see including a stop at Waita Reservoir. The day we took the tour was perfect, so we really enjoyed pristine landscapes from makai (ocean) to mauka (mountain).
The most exciting part of the trip was the view atop a crater where we took perfect pictures and enjoyed a tail about Kamehameha. A visit to the cliffs of Mahaulepu beach was also a highlight.
The tour did not feel rushed, and we had plenty of time to enjoy all the sights. They also provided yummy snacks and water for everyone. The gear was almost new, and really there is nothing you need to bring asides from sunscreen.
If in Kauai you must do the Kauai ATV Backroads Adventure Tour because:
- You get almost a full hour of exciting ATVs driving through the trails and cliffs toward an active volcano.
- They have an amazing local guide who tells exciting and culturally meaningful stories while showing you stunning sites.
- There are panoramic views from the ocean and mountains not seen in other tours.
- This is an activity away from people and crowds and can be a great couples activity.
#3 (BIG ISLAND) 4-hour Ocean Kayak Tours from Hawaii
Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
Address: 78 Ehukai St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
This is an awesome small group excursion that includes kayaking, snorkeling, cliff jumping, and some amazing sea life. The trip is limited to up to 6 people, so the guide really focuses on each guest and even tells some great stories.
During our trip, we were lucky to see what seemed like an endless number of colorful tropical fish. Also a group of stunning Spinner dolphins and some turtles. Snorkeling was also very fun and we made two stops to snorkel. Both had some great fish to show (I even saw an eel). I felt safe because the instruction was great and the guide was a lifeguard and trained in first aid. They even provided snacks including chocolate muffins and fruit.
Kayaking along the coast also provided some great panoramic views of the beaches and open ocean. It is quite peaceful out on the water, away from tourists and crowds. The instructor let us dictate our experience so we even got to see an awesome blowhole. Overall it was an exciting and adventurous experience with lots of treasured memories.
Snorkel and kayak lovers must do the 4-hour Ocean Kayak Tours from Hawaii because:
- They provide excellent equipment and instruction to enjoy many hours along the coastline.
- There are two snorkeling breaks where you can see over 50 types of exotic and colorful fish.
- This is a perfect activity to get away from tourists and crowds, and each group has a maximum of 6 people.
- They are safety focused and the guide is knowledgeable, and fun, but also a lifeguard and first aid certified.
- They think of everything including snacks of fresh fruit and baked goods (we got chocolate muffins).
#4 (OAHU) Kualoa Ranch – Jurassic Adventure Tour
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes (approx.)
Address: Kualoa Ranch, 49-560 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe, HI 96744
If you grew up the Jurassic park movies as I did you will love this tour. It’s really fun for all ages, and it made me feel like a kid at heart. The tour is lengthy and you don’t feel rushed enjoying the sights with a professional tour guide. Even if you are not a fan of the movies there is a lot to see and experience.
We visited film sites in Kualoa, Hakipu’u, and Ka’a’awa Valleys. Each one was gorgeous with wild and jungle-like natural beauty. We also saw some areas specifically used in the movies that are left for the tour including bunkers and authentic dinosaur cages.
It was easy to see everything because the tour is done in an open-air custom vehicle that made it easy and safe to move around. (It is quite bumpy, but that was part of the fun for me!) Our diver was funny and excellent. We made several stops to enjoy the endless panoramic views and take some awesome pictures. Our guide was nice enough to take some pictures of us.
Kualoa Ranch – Jurassic Adventure Tour is a great pick for an adventure tour because:
- It’s a great family trip in an open-air vehicle that takes you to some amazing locations.
- You get to visit sites like Hakipu’u and Ka’a’awa Valleys with stunning panoramic views and some props from the movies including authentic dinosaur cages and bunkers.
- The professional tour guide is friendly, knowledgeable, and knows a lot of fun facts for fans of the movies.
- You will take some breathtaking pictures.
#5 (BIG ISLAND) Big Island Hawaii Volcano Adventure Tour w/ Lunch
Duration: 10 hours 30 minutes (approx.)
Address: (pickup options available, hotels, airport)
This is an all-day tour that will keep you engaged and interested from beginning to end. The Kilauea volcano adventure takes you to awesome craters, steaming vents, lava tubes, black sand, and even magma. The tour takes you to many different locations including Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
I enjoyed the Thurston Lava Tube and the Jaggar Museum very much, but the highlight for me was Kilauea Iki Crater. It is an exciting spot that truly shows the power of nature. The black sand and stem are exciting and make for excellent pictures. I took countless selfies.
Other great stops for me were the Rainbow Falls (with intertwining rainbows at Hilo’s most magnificent waterfall) and an orchid farm with some stunning and blooming tropical flowers that I haven’t seen before. I was stunned by the view at Kealakomo where you can see the way lave meets with the see. (really an original experience!)
We got to learn a lot about the natural history of the island from a professional local guide who narrates the entire experience. It’s easy to see and experience everything because the groups of tourists are small. We had about 20 people in our group. I booked way ahead because they re-schedule or offer a full refund if the weather is bad. So I had a guarantee.
Big Island Hawaii Volcano Adventure Tour w/ Lunch is a great pic because:
- This is an all-day adventure packed filled with exciting sites including Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Rainbow Falls, Kilauea Iki Crater, and even an awesome botanical garden with orchids.
- The tour is perfectly run with a professional narrator and a lot of great information concerning the island’s history.
- The groups are small and there is plenty of opportunity to see and experience everything.
- It’s an original and fun activity for families or couples.
#6 Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small-Group Adventure Tour
Duration: 8 hours (approx.)
Address: (multiple meeting points available)
When thinking about a Hawaiian adventure most people don’t think about the night sky. But the truth is that the Maui sky is an adventure in itself. Having a small group tour of nighttime views on the Mauna Kea stargazing trip may very well be the highlight of your trip.
We had an incredible experience on this tour that started with a picnic and a stunning sunset view. Quickly afterward we took a 4×4 luxury van to the summit of the Big Island’s tallest peak.
The highlight was the star gazing session with hot cocoa and dessert. The night sky was filled with stars and better than I could imagine. Staring at the night sky in the provided hooded parka was exciting and very romantic. This was a perfect activity for us as a couple. As a bonus, we got to learn about the ecology and incredible culture of the island. Using the telescope only amplifyed the experience and the organization was top-notch. Overall, an evening full of excitement and adventure.
Don’t miss out on the Mauna Kea Summit and Stars Small-Group Adventure Tour because:
- It’s a small group and intimate evening perfect for couples and star lovers.
- You get to experience a wonderful sunset and picnic provided.
- A fun and exciting ride is leading to a perfect star-gazing location.
- The guide is extremely knowledgeable and provides awesome facts about the night sky and its tie to Hawaiian culture.
- This is an awesome couples activity.
Conclusion on the Best Adventure Tours in Hawaii
The Hawaiian islands are a paradise by anyone’s definition. There are so many exciting opportunities to experience authentic and exciting adventures that include an active volcano, jungle settings, panoramic views, and the Maui night sky.
No matter what tour you choose, you will have a wonderful time. If you have the time, I highly recommend doing multiple tours. I know that we enjoyed them and made lifetime memories.
Don’t miss out on these picture-perfect moments and enjoy your adventure.
Please share my article as a sign of support.
Last Updated on May 2, 2023 by Brigitte